[arch-dev-public] [signoff] bash-4.1.009-4

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 2 04:40:32 EST 2011

On 02/02/11 18:49, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 02.02.2011 06:33, schrieb Allan McRae:
>>   - do not source /etc/bash.bashrc.local as it is non-standard (Suse
>> specific???) and /etc/bash.bashrc can be directly edited now backed up...
>
> Why? We explicitly added this feature just a year ago, so we would have
> a system-wide .bashrc. The idea was that we can update our arch-defaults
> while a user-specific configuration stays in place. This was the sanest
> possibility in my eyes.

Mainly because every other distro except Suse does not use this and so
many people would adjust /etc/bash.bashrc anyway.  As that was not a
backup file, these changes would get overridden each update.

Also, I really would not want my system-wide bashrc updated at the whim
of my distribution packager.  I would find it much better to manually
merge the file.

Allan