[arch-dev-public] rsyslog in core+base?

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 07:05:00 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:28 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 07/02/11 20:14, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>>
>> Am 07.02.2011 10:54, schrieb Eric Bélanger:
>>>
>>>     FS#22089 - [syslog-ng] Please install config files in
>>> /etc/syslog-ng/ hierarchy
>>
>> Does this mean I need to move my config file _again_? I remember this
>> was in /etc/syslog-ng/, then moved to /etc/, and now it is moved back.
>>
>> Can anyone please explain to me how this changing back and forth is
>> justified? If pacman would behave better with moving config files, I
>> wouldn't be bothered, but I need to move around my configuration
>> manually each time this happens.
>>

> I'm not sure when/why the configuration file moved from /etc/syslog-ng/
> previously.  My recollection is that there was a single configuration file
> so using /etc/syslog-ng.conf probably made sense then.

I checked an old package and it had a single config file:
/etc/syslog-ng.conf so that's probably what happened.

> However, if you look at the configuration files now, they really need moved
> back.  /etc/modules.conf is just a really bad filename for a syslog-ng
> file...

Agree. Now we have several config files and there will be a
patterndb.d directory that will need to be added. Better have all this
stuff together in their own directory.  I suppose the chance of going
back to a single config file is very slim so it'll probably be the
last time that these files will be moved. Also, all the other major
distros I checked have the configs in /etc/syslog-ng/.