[arch-dev-public] [signoff] binutils-2.21-4 and glibc-2.13-3

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 9 04:15:58 EST 2011

This is a rebuild to remove nopl instructions on i686 so those "i686"
processors (e.g. Via C3 Nehemiah) that do not support it do not crash a
lot.  This issue was supposed to be fixed upstream in binutils-2.21 so
the old work around for this was removed from our glibc package.   Turns
out, the binutils fix was not as much of a fix as was previously thought...

binutils-2.21-4:
  - new snapshot from 2.21 branch
  - add upstream patch to stop nopl usage on i686

glibc-2.13-3:
  - rebuild to remove nopl instructions

Before:
 > objdump -d /lib/ld-2.13.so | grep nopl | wc -l
264

After
 > objdump -d /lib/ld-2.13.so | grep nopl | wc -l
0

glibc is probably the only package that needed rebuilt to remove those
instructions as its build forces --mtune=i686 when --march=i686 is used.
  Those package that listen to --mtune=generic are fine.

Signoff both,
Allan