[arch-dev-public] Vi package

Tobias Kieslich tobias at justdreams.de
Thu Feb 10 14:39:08 EST 2011

Hi,

this comes up every once in a while, and while the current situation is
not exactly satisfying, it's IMHO the best compromise we have. Here is
why:

In my and many others opinion, vi sole purpose ist to maintain standard
compliance plus to serve as simple editor on install time. For
everything else, let me repeat that: EVERYTHING ELSE, please install
vim. Thank you!
So, why not have vim, a mini vim, vim-tiny, a stripped version of vim
instead? Because it's a lot of work and more importantly a damn error
prone thing to do for very little benefit. Vim, no matter how stripped
down, comes with a significant runtime. This runtime needs to be
stripped down manually but still will be bigger than ex-vi and friends.
Moreover, any vim/gvim package must be designed complementary to
	a) provide everything the stripped vi doesn't have
	b) don't conflict with with the stripped vi
That is a lot of work and very error prone. We had that partially in the
past and let's just say it didn't go so well. Did anyone notice the
release speed of vim? It needs to be rechecked and veryfied for every
release. On top of that, because vi will be in core, every vim/gvim
release will have to be delayed by the testing period for vi. That too
we did have in the past and it doesn't ring so well with both users and
developers.

So in conclusion, I see very little benefit in having a more functional
vi package, when most can be achieved by installing vim for what you
wanna do in the editor. The difference in typing "vi" or "vim" is a
rather semantic one and if you really can't stand it, Jan's symlink idea
works just fine. The cost for splitting it in a vi and a vim packag is
simply way to high.

	- T