[arch-dev-public] GSoC 2011

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 11:38:50 EST 2011

2011/2/25 Ángel Velásquez <angvp at archlinux.org>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just wondering why we didn't participate in GSoC, many open source
> projects got improved for this kind of programs.
"why we don't"? The submission period hasn't even started.

I am all for it; start putting together a project ideas page and an
application and I'd be glad to fill it with pacman ideas.

A few real quick:
* Package signing
* Package "hooks"
* True transactions - e.g. we have the ability to fully check and roll
back, this may include some BTRFS and other filesystems snapshot
support and ability to roll back.
* VCS packaging.

And of course:
* Automatic building system- look at PKGBUILD.com and old pacbuild,
and possibly newer innovations like Hudson/Jenkins. Turn it into
something where it all "just works" and is intuitive and safe.

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Roadmap

> Just wondering areas in which we can receive and mentor students with
> the permission of the projects owner I will do a list of possible
> areas of work:
>
> * Pacman (Adding signed packages)
> * AIF and archiso integration
> * Namcap
> * Netcfg
> * <insert project here>
>
> Please don't kill me if the idea is wrong, It just came to my mind that idea.
Definitely a good idea and a great way to possibly find new developers
that may want to continue after SoC is complete.

-Dan