[arch-dev-public] Inclusion of RAR

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Tue Jan 4 00:24:42 EST 2011

On 4 January 2011 01:46, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> I don't think we should provide a binary rar package in any repository.
> Distribution might be possible by getting a written permission from the
> vendor but the actual free usage is limited to 40 days after which you
> have to buy a license. Users might not expect this restriction from a
> package we provide in our repos.
>
> Also it doesn't matter if there is some actual drm implementation which
> would prevent usage longer than 40 days or not. Using it for a longer
> period will still be illegal.

It appears the author is fine with that as long as the user has the
license on the system. Full e-mail conversation (up til now) forwarded
below.

On 4 January 2011 01:52, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> Well, exactly the same set of files will not suit a package:
> - we add a .PKGINFO file
> - we move around files (seems allowed though)
> - we don't distribute the Makefile and rar_static

I think he should know that already, since I mentioned to him we are
going to repackage for redistribution, and the package is going to be
handled by a packaging tool. But just in case, now I've asked about
this specifically, especially about rar_static.