[arch-dev-public] Inclusion of RAR

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Tue Jan 4 06:35:01 EST 2011

On 4 January 2011 19:16, Gaetan Bisson <bisson at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Personally I think unrar is sufficient for most people so I don't think
> we need to package a program with such strict licensing terms.

Yes, that's correct. There is still some public education needed to
encourage use of 7z for when archival/compression like RAR is needed.
Just that there is significant demand for it, and other distributions
appear to have it, so I thought, why not?

The licensing isn't much different from other freeware that allow
redistribution. The only thing is that the author rests assured that
the users are provided with a license, and that it is then upto those
users to comply with the terms and stop their usage or register/buy a
license.

> Do we already have sharewares in our repos?

I don't think so. We have lots of freeware, but nothing like this.

In fact, I was half-expecting a negative response from RARLAB, before
I found out that 'rar' is actually being redistributed by at least
Ubuntu [1] (Fedora doesn't even ship 'unrar').

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/rar