[arch-dev-public] why the hurry???

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Jan 4 12:09:58 EST 2011

Am 04.01.2011 17:38, schrieb Andreas Radke:
> I've just updated udev and after a relogin to X no input was possible
> with keyboard or mouse. I had to ssh into it and reboot the system.
> Now it's working.
>
> I'm not sure if the above mentioned 'udevadm info --convert-db' would
> have prevent this. Shouldn't this be added to the post.update
> script-let or make pacman to print at least a small note about this?

It's not clear whether this is a good idea. We do not restart udevd on
update, so migrating a udev database seems like a bad idea. I also would
have thought that this is no problem, as the old udevd is still running
and uses the old database format (unless udevd re-exec's /sbin/udevd at
some point, which IMO is also a bad idea, it should rather re-exec
/proc/self/exe).

As a general rule: A udev update should be followed by a reboot or a
manual udevd restart (both of which would fix your problem).