[arch-dev-public] Update tomcat from 5.5 to 6.0?

Guillaume ALAUX guillaume at archlinux.org
Sun Jan 16 07:27:41 EST 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 10:54 +0100, Rémy Oudompheng wrote:
> On 2011/1/14 Ionuț Bîru <ibiru at archlinux.org>wrote :
> > i'm for this situation too. just update tomcat to he newest stable version
> > and drop the old stable.
>
> Then I fear we actually have to package Tomcat 7, not Tomcat 6.

Well actually Tomcat doesn't use the usual versionning scheme. ie
version n doesn't deprecate version n-1. Instead each version is the
implementation of a version of the Servlet/JSP specifications.

The Tomcat team provides this table:

http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html

Users can refer to it when trying to figure out which Tomcat version
they should use depending on the Servlet/JSP their webapp uses.

That is why you won't find any upstream info on which tomcat version is
the stable one that should be used in any case.

FYI the first "stable" Tomcat 7 version (7.0.6) went out 3 days ago
("stable" here means the dev team didn't call it "-beta" nor "-alpha"):

http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-7/

This is also why I would be in favor of keeping tomcat 5.5 in an
official repo. What about Tomcat 7?
--
Guillaume