[arch-dev-public] new grub2 package: advice needed

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 14:37:09 EST 2011

Hi guys,

I'm preparing a new set of grub2 packages together with a user
(skodabenz). We've had a rather long discussion about if we should
rename 's/grub/grub2' in the package. In theory this should allow to
install both grub and grub2 (chainloading, but nobody will do that
anyway I suppose), but it will also make things more clear as they no
longer share similar directories.

- This would rename however all utilities to have grub2 in the name
instead of grub.
- the config directory will move to /boot/grub2

Some consequences:

- people can't find their utilities anymore (searching is difficult for some)
- grub2 may replace grub and switching names again would be weird
- previously used config file is not loaded and people get greeted by
the grub command line (which is quite powerful though). We could
possibly copy the old grub.cfg from the users system over to
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg. If we don't copy it we can blame Allan.

I'm not quite sure what the best option here is. What do you think?

Ronald