[arch-dev-public] new grub2 package: advice needed

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 16:53:27 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Ray Rashif <schiv at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 26 January 2011 03:37, Ronald van Haren <pressh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm preparing a new set of grub2 packages together with a user
>> (skodabenz). We've had a rather long discussion about if we should
>> rename 's/grub/grub2' in the package. In theory this should allow to
>> install both grub and grub2 (chainloading, but nobody will do that
>> anyway I suppose), but it will also make things more clear as they no
>> longer share similar directories.
>>
>> - This would rename however all utilities to have grub2 in the name
>> instead of grub.
>> - the config directory will move to /boot/grub2
>>
>> Some consequences:
>>
>> - people can't find their utilities anymore (searching is difficult for some)
>> - grub2 may replace grub and switching names again would be weird
>> - previously used config file is not loaded and people get greeted by
>> the grub command line (which is quite powerful though). We could
>> possibly copy the old grub.cfg from the users system over to
>> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg. If we don't copy it we can blame Allan.
>>
>> I'm not quite sure what the best option here is. What do you think?
>
> What is the aim, though? From what I gather:
>
> - allow to install both grub and grub2
> - make the distinction clearer
>
> Is that correct? If so, the impact from the following:
>
> - people can't find their utilities anymore (searching is difficult for some)
> - grub2 may replace grub and switching names again would be weird
>
> Will, IMO, not be worth this rename.

FYI, the new grub2 packages are now in [testing] using the same naming
as the old grub2 package. EFI support is added and the package is
split into four (common and bios are needed for a normal bios system,
common and either efi-i386 or 64 bit efi if you have such a system).
grub-extra features are included as well.

It fixes a couple of bugs/feature request, I will close them in the
next few days.

Please test if everything is still working before I push it to [extra].

Ronald