[arch-dev-public] Moving openldap to core repo

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 05:40:03 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 4:09 AM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 20:48 -0400, Eric Bélanger wrote:
>> Sure. I just did it in my WIP PKGBUILD to not forget.
>>
>> As no-one seems to know about the db moving part, I'm leaning into
>> keeping  --localstatedir=/var/lib/openldap. I'll wait for a day or two
>> in case someone wants to pipe in, unless you want me to go forward to
>> get the new openladp package done for the tcp_wrappers removal.
>
> What db-moving part exactly? Doesn't the current package install the
> database in /var/lib/openldap, and isn't that the logical place for it?

The current package use the --localstatedir=/var/lib/openldap
configure option. That does 2 things:
- it creates a /var/lib/openldap/openldap-data/ directory where the db is stored
- it creates a /var/lib/openldap/run/ directory where the unix ldapi
socket will be located

Although this is a reasonnable location for the db, you said in a
comment on FS#21051 that /var/lib/openldap/run/ is a weird location
and that /var/run would be better. If we want to change the location
of the ldapi socket to /var/run, we'll need to use
--localstatedir=/var as configure option. However, this will also
change the expected location of the db to /var/openldap-data/ hence
the db moving business.

I guess it all boils down wether the weirdness of having the socket
/var/lib/openldap/run/ is important enough to worth the hassle of the
db moving.

Eric