[arch-dev-public] DNS and SSL Cert

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 19:26:28 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Two things are coming up here, and I just want to bring this
> discussion up again.
>
> * DNS
>
> Our everydns account is going away. According to their site
> (http://www.everydns.com/) we have 43-ish days to get everything moved
> off.
>
> We have a handful of options, some free, some not.
>
> a) https://pointhq.com/ - I use this personally. Maybe not the
> snappiest DNS servers in the world, but the interface is easy.
They have distributed nameservers, which is good enough for me. Should
we just go with this? Dave/I are willing to manage it as it isn't that
much work once we get the initial setup done.

As a side note, I have an AXFR copy of our entire zone from what we
currently have in EveryDNS if that helps.

> b) http://reflected.net/ could host our DNS, but we'd need to manually
> contact people to change things
> c) Use our registrar (godaddy)
> d) Other?
>
> * SSL Cert
>
> Our StartCom cert is expiring. I need to reconfirm my identity with
> them, but I can get to this as early as tomorrow. Have we had any
> major issues with using a cert from these people? Now would be the
> time to switch, if so.
They seem absolutely fine; I'd say stick with them.

-Dan