[arch-dev-public] [signoff] initscripts-2011.07.1-1

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 23:26:40 EDT 2011

On 26 July 2011 05:43, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 July 2011 23:51, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>> The VERBOSE parameter no longer has an effect, use the kernel's
>> loglevel= parameter instead. Most p
>
> I don't like this change. While you say there's a way to make it less
> verbose, after only merging the changes to rc.conf, dmesg output will
> get interleaved with initscripts output during boot, which looks
> horrible: http://imgur.com/a/wbG9z
>
> No signoff. :>

Dave explained to me on IRC that the loglevel=[1-8] or quiet options
can be passed to the kernel to control this.

It would make sense to default to, say, loglevel=4 (that's what quiet
sets) if no verbosity-related options are passed to the kernel.

Another possible issue:

$ runlevel
unknown

On another machine without the initscripts package from [testing] the
output differs:

$ runlevel
N 5