[arch-dev-public] [signoff] initscripts-2011.07.1-1

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 01:25:02 EDT 2011

On 26 July 2011 06:36, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 06:26:40AM +0300, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't like this change. While you say there's a way to make it less
>> > verbose, after only merging the changes to rc.conf, dmesg output will
>> > get interleaved with initscripts output during boot, which looks
>> > horrible: http://imgur.com/a/wbG9z
>> >
>> > No signoff. :>
>>
>> Dave explained to me on IRC that the loglevel=[1-8] or quiet options
>> can be passed to the kernel to control this.
>>
>> It would make sense to default to, say, loglevel=4 (that's what quiet
>> sets) if no verbosity-related options are passed to the kernel.
>
> So, would this be done in initscripts or initramfs? The 'quiet'
> parameter isn't some big secret.

I'd say in initscripts, because before that only the kernel prints
messages. When initscripts kicks in, its output gets combined with the
kernel messages and creates a visually unappealing result. :p

I think that capping loglevel to 4 in initscripts would work well:

--8<------------
# limit console verbosity to no more than 4 (error conditions)
# this is done to keep initscripts' output clean and readable
set -- $(< /proc/sys/kernel/printk)
(( $1 > 4 )) && echo 4 >/proc/sys/kernel/printk

Opinions?

>> Another possible issue:
>>
>> $ runlevel
>> unknown
>
> That's possibly a huge issue. When is that visible?

Thanks for fixing that with your latest patch to mkinitcpio.