[arch-dev-public] [signoff] initscripts-2011.07.1-1

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 07:23:03 EDT 2011

On 26 July 2011 14:00, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> What about those who manually want to set the loglevel to something else?

I don't think more than LOG_ERR verbosity is needed after rc.sysinit
takes over. One can use dmesg to review any warnings and informational
messages after the system has finished booting.

My point is that it doesn't make sense to allow both initscript's
output and kernel messages to be displayed at the same time; lines get
cut off and parts of the output becomes unreadable.

> I guess we could put a notice in initscripts.install suggesting people
> to amend "quiet" to their kernel command line. Would that be ok?

I guess that would be fine, but I don't like that manual intervention
will be required to go back to the previous behavior, just to support
a useless use case (loglevel greater than LOG_ERR after rc.sysinit has
kicked in). :)