[arch-dev-public] [signoff] initscripts-2011.07.1-1

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Jul 26 12:06:45 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Ionut Biru <ibiru at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 07/26/2011 05:43 AM, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
>>
>> On 25 July 2011 23:51, Tom Gundersen<teg at jklm.no>  wrote:
>>>
>>> The VERBOSE parameter no longer has an effect, use the kernel's
>>> loglevel= parameter instead. Most p
>>
>> I don't like this change. While you say there's a way to make it less
>> verbose, after only merging the changes to rc.conf, dmesg output will
>> get interleaved with initscripts output during boot, which looks
>> horrible: http://imgur.com/a/wbG9z
>>
>> No signoff. :>
>
> i'm with you in this. kernel logs are in the middle of starting daemons.
> hate it

I agree that the kernel default is annoying, but it _is_ the upstream
default, and there is a known workaround (boot with "quiet"), so I
don't want to keep hacking around this in initscripts.

Luckily, my stubbornness prompted Dave to do the right thing, and
submit a kernel patch to allow the default to be set to something
sensible at compile-time: <https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/7/26/227>.
Hopefully this means that the problem will be solved upstream soon.

Cheers,

Tom