[arch-dev-public] [signoff] initscripts-2011.07.3-1

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Jul 28 08:46:11 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

A few more fixes has been added to initscripts, and it should now be
ready to go to [core]. Please signoff.

I did not revert the loglevel stuff, as the old behavior can easily be
obtained in many new ways. Two of which are outlined below.

Thanks too all who tested so far.

-t

Changes to rc.conf
------------------

The VERBOSE parameter no longer has an effect, use the kernel's
loglevel= parameter instead. Most people probably wants to pass
'quiet' to the kernel.
Alternatively, a new init hook could be added to /etc/rc.d/functions.d/dmesg:

sysinit_start () {
        dmesg -n 3
}

If HARDWARECLOCK is empty we will read the value of UTC/LOCAL from
hwclock's adjfile instead. To avoid
interacting with the hardwareclock set HARDWARECLOCK="IGNORE" (this
should never be needed, and might be removed in the future).

We now support (optionally) setting the broadcast address in the new
network config.

Behavioral changes
------------------

We no longer silence errors thrown by udev. In particular, if udevadm
--settle times out, we get an error message.

We no longer adjust the rtc on boot, as it is unreliable, we only make
corrections for the timezone.

We no longer mount /run as noexec.

Misc changes

Cleaning up of /tmp and friends is now done by an external tool. This
tool is intended to allow pac
kages to maintain {/var,}/run{/lock,} in the absense of rc scripts.

General refactoring which should make maintenance and writing custom
hooks easier.

Revert the NEED_ROOT functionality. It is now off by default, and has
to be enabled by the rc scripts that wants to force root.