[arch-dev-public] [signoff] initscripts-2011.07.3-1

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 14:33:57 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 8:46 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> A few more fixes has been added to initscripts, and it should now be
> ready to go to [core]. Please signoff.
>
> I did not revert the loglevel stuff, as the old behavior can easily be
> obtained in many new ways. Two of which are outlined below.
>
> Thanks too all who tested so far.
>
> -t
>

> Revert the NEED_ROOT functionality. It is now off by default, and has
> to be enabled by the rc scripts that wants to force root.

I suppose you did that because of: FS#25271 - [netcfg] latest
initscripts update breaks non-root actions, right?

You do realise that if you turn it off by default, basically no-one
will bother to add a "NEED_ROOT=1" to their daemon script even if the
majority (all?) requires root permission to run. Not even I, who came
up with the initial idea and worked on the patch, will bother.

You might as well remove the functionnality completely and either go
back to the drawing table to implement it in a better way or to forget
about it.

Eric