[arch-dev-public] Package naming question, postgresql pg_upgrade package

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 15:16:51 EDT 2011

In order to make using pg_upgrade a lot easier and possible on an Arch
system (https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21929), I'm building a package
of the prior major version of postgresql, as the binaries and such are
necessary for pg_upgrade to do it's business. Basically this is a
stripped down package containing only what is necessary, and installs
mostly in /opt. It is *not* meant to be ran as a standalone instance,
and no initscripts or anything are provided.

When I started writing the PKGBUILD for it, I named it
"postgresql-minimal", but that doesn't really convey the fact that it
isn't mean to be useful on its own. So:
* "postgresql-previous"
* "postgresql-upgrade"
* "postgresql-previous-minimal"

Please suggest without bikeshedding, I'll pick something about six
hours from now. The description will contain the "don't use this for
much" bits, but I at least want the name to not be misleading.

-Dan