[arch-dev-public] xorg group restructuring

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Mar 10 15:27:36 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 04:08 +0800, Ray Rashif wrote:
> On 10 March 2011 20:56, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> > I'd like to propose a restructuring of Xorg packages. Right now we have
> > xorg-server, some drivers in two groups, some apps, and some transition
> > packages. Some belong to a group, some don't.
>
> Isn't this what you warned us about back in December? Or am I missing
> some finer details?

In december I warned about splitting the combined packages in their
standalone versions. This was halfway done and never finished. I hope to
finish that transformation with this update too. So far I have all apps
from the upstream release set packaged.

> > The xorg-video-drivers and xorg-input-drivers will be removed, as I see
> > no reason to install all video drivers but not all input drivers or the
> > other way around.
>
> These would be superseded by xorg-drivers?

Yes. The only reason to use these groups are for live CDs or similar
installations. For those setups I see no need to install all input
drivers but not all video drivers, or the other way around. It's all or
nothing, not half.