[arch-dev-public] [arch-projects] [initscripts] Linux distributions and /run/

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Mar 31 07:58:46 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> This was discussed in a bug report iirc, here is some summary:
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Linux-distributions-to-include-run-directory-1219006.html
>
> Apparently, many tools (among them udev) will soon require a /run/
> directory that is mounted early (as tmpfs). It is probably a good idea
> to add this to the filesystem and initscripts packages.

I have just been reading up on this, and I agree that we should add it.

At some point in the future we should probably consider symlinking
/var/run to /run and /var/lock to /run/lock, but we would have to
implement <https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18157> first, and /run is
useful even without the symlinks. My understanding of the situation is
that it is ok or /var/run and /run to be different, but please let me
know if I'm wrong on this.

I guess we'll need to add the mountpoint to the filesystem package
(possibly with permissions 0000 to avoid accidents) and  mount the
tmpfs early in rc.sysinit (I'll write the patch as soon as people
agree that this is the right thing to do).

Cheers,

Tom