[arch-dev-public] Fwd: [signoff] dhcpcd 5.2.12-2

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 06:46:51 EDT 2011

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson at archlinux.org> wrote:
> [2011-11-04 07:58:23 +0100] Ronald van Haren:
>> Are there other people want to switch the dependency to iproute2
>> instead by slightly changing the script?
>
> I thought most of us agreed on that, as initscripts switched from
> net-tools to iproute2 back in June:
>
>        http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2011-June/020534.html
>
> --
> Gaetan

I think that there is a difference between in-house developed
applications and others (patching upstream to use a tool you like more
is different than changing the code if you are yourself upstream). IMO
if you want to get rid of net-tools we should start pushing a bit
harder and patch the other applications that depend on it as well.

If you don't trust it because it is old, you should not trust it with
packages in extra either (although all debian patches have been
applied in the cvs version we use so it still is in some sort of
maintenance mode). I just miss a clear policy here. Sure it has come
up before but there has never been a real push in removing it
completely (which may or may not be as easy as it sounds).

But as I said, I don't have a strong opinion about using either
ifconfig or ip in the script.

I'll move the package from my staging dir by the end of the afternoon
(now + 5 hours) if nobody speaks up against it.

Ronald