[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Cleaning up /sbin, /bin and /lib

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Nov 4 12:54:55 EDT 2011

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson at archlinux.org> wrote:
> [2011-11-04 13:52:34 +0100] Tom Gundersen:
>> Most, but not all. Also, FHS specifically allows symlinks to the real
>> binaries, so referring to the FHS is not really an argument either
>> way.
>
> I'm not sure I can follow your train of thoughts...
>
> Why complicate the layout by adding symlinks?
>
> Can we even boot without /usr anyhow?

Hmmm... I guess I was not clear.

My suggestion was simply for people to have a look at their packages
to see if they put any binaries outside /usr that have no reason to be
there.

We can not currently boot without /usr, so binaries needed to mount
/usr need to stay outside for the time being.

Maybe being in the FHS also is a good reason to stay outside.

It was not my intention to dictate what constitutes a good reason,
just to raise awareness as there are some things that clearly should
go away (what exactly they are I'll leave up to the individual
maintainers).

Above all though, I think we should be hesitant to add new stuff to
/bin or /sbin.

Cheers,

Tom