[arch-dev-public] [signoff] linux-3.1-1

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sat Oct 29 12:03:30 EDT 2011

On di, 2011-10-25 at 17:12 +0200, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
> Hi guys,
> please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>
> Upstream
> changes:
> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>
> Archlinux Changes:
> - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
> - all external modules should be installed in
>   /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
>   marked as deprecated for quite some time
>   All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
>   should make the transition to pata hook now!
> - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
>   marked as deprecated for quite some time,
>   everything is available in /sys

-1 from me. Reasons for this:
1. The fix-i915.patch was removed, this causes my laptop to see a
connected television again, while my laptop doesn't even have an output
for that
2. Massive screen flicker when starting up X. Something has regressed
seriously in the intel driver.

I see Thomas removed the fix-i915.patch file, because it was "not
accepted upstream". The only reference I can find for this patch is that
nobody ever tested if TV-Out actually works when this patch is applied.
As we haven't got any bugreports for this and nobody ever tested the
patch with a hooked up TV, I'd say just add it back.