[arch-dev-public] [signoff] linux-3.1-1

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sat Oct 29 14:53:49 EDT 2011

On za, 2011-10-29 at 18:29 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 29.10.2011 18:03, schrieb Jan de Groot:
> > -1 from me. Reasons for this:
> > 1. The fix-i915.patch was removed, this causes my laptop to see a
> > connected television again, while my laptop doesn't even have an output
> > for that
> > 2. Massive screen flicker when starting up X. Something has regressed
> > seriously in the intel driver.
> >
> > I see Thomas removed the fix-i915.patch file, because it was "not
> > accepted upstream". The only reference I can find for this patch is that
> > nobody ever tested if TV-Out actually works when this patch is applied.
> > As we haven't got any bugreports for this and nobody ever tested the
> > patch with a hooked up TV, I'd say just add it back.
>
> We do not add patches to our kernel that have not been merged upstream,
> will not be merged upstream, or have not been submitted upstream. I do
> not know why an exception was made in this case. This patch has been
> there for 3 or 4 major kernel versions (or longer?). Where is the bug
> report? The mailing list thread? The upstream commit?
>
> I will not add this patch back unless it appears in the appropriate
> subsystem tree or in the Linus tree.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2011-April/010371.html

That's the whole discussion about this one. Seems to have been applied,
but reverted because the reasoning behind the patch was unclear. Someone
claims it's documented in some errata, but doesn't say which one.

So far I've been able to find the bug in our tracker, with a link to the
kernel.org bugtracker that's down:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19234