[arch-dev-public] "Upstream" bug closure

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sat Apr 14 05:42:16 EDT 2012

Recently I've seen several bugs getting closed as "upstream". This is
not just about bugs in nvidia drivers or bugs in flashplayer, but also
about bugs in the intel drivers that upstream has patches for. Closing
this means that we still suffer from that bug until upstream releases a
new driver 3 months later. This is totally unacceptable for me.

So, as for "upstream": only close bugs that we can't fix locally. This
includes closed software, but also bugreports about design choices done
upstream (for example: the nodisplay=true entry in evince.desktop).
Closing valid bugs as "upstream" renders our bugtracker useless, as
we'll get new bugs reported for the same bugs in a later stage, or
people request re-open anyways because it's still not working.