[arch-dev-public] "Upstream" bug closure

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sat Apr 14 07:58:53 EDT 2012

Am 14.04.2012 13:52, schrieb Andreas Radke:
> Am Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:28:36 +0200
> schrieb Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net>:
>> So the Arch Way is to package broken software and close any bug you
>> receive as upstream?
> If a bug doesn't affect all users I tend to say yes. We ship what
> is working for most users. When a workaround is known (e.g. pkg
> downgrade, some config file option...) we can close the bug as upstream
> or apply a fix that will work for all users.

It'll be hard to find a general rule here. It depends on how critical a
bug is, if a patch is approved by upstream and how trivial a patch is.
I'd also say that it is only useful to clsoe a bug if there was at least
minimal communication. E.g. closing as upstream is not useful if
upstream does not know about the problem. So at least tell the user to
report upstream and once they took over you may close the bug on our
side.