[arch-dev-public] Inetutils cleanup

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 15:20:21 EDT 2012

Hi,

Currently, the inetutils packages provide the old unsecure r* family
of tools. There is currently a bug report [1] asking for the removal
of rexec as it it particularly unsecure. As these things are old and I
suppose everyone has moved to more secure apps like ssh/sftp, I'm
thinking about removing all these r* tools.

Also, there is another bug report [2] about removing /bin/domainname.
This wrapper script is currently broken and users using NIS probably
already have yp-tools installed, which provides its own
/usr/bin/domainname.  This will also fix a future conflict whenever
we'll get rid of /bin.

In summary, I would like to remove the following binaries from inetutils:

/bin/domainname
/usr/bin/rcp
/usr/bin/rexec
/usr/bin/rlogin
/usr/bin/rsh
/usr/sbin/rexecd
/usr/sbin/rlogind
/usr/sbin/rshd

The inetutils package will continue to provide the following binaries:

/bin/dnsdomainname
/bin/hostname
/usr/bin/ftp
/usr/bin/hostname