[arch-dev-public] Moving from procps to procps-ng?

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 13:16:09 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:58 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Apr 24, 2012 1:29 AM, "Eric Bélanger" <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The procps project didn't had any new release for a while and the
>> current package use a dozen of patches to fix miscellenaous things.
>> I'm thinking about switching to procps-ng[1]. Procps-ng is a fork of
>> procps by Debian, Fedora and openSUSE.  Gentoo is also using procps-ng
>> (although, like Debian, the package is still named procps).
>>
>> I also intend to replace the home made sysctl.conf that we currently
>> provide by the upstream version of that file.
>>
>> Any comments, objections?
>
> +1

Objection to the now-shipped /etc/sysctl.conf file, so I'm giving a -1
signoff here. It moved my existing file to a .pacsave, and the
defaults are total shit, not to mention the file is a formatting
nightmare. Some lowlights:

# see the evil packets in your log files
net/ipv4/conf/all/log_martians=1

# makes you vulnerable or not :-)
net/ipv4/conf/all/accept_redirects=0
net/ipv4/conf/all/accept_source_route=0
net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts =1

# This limits PID values to 4 digits, which allows tools like ps
# to save screen space.
kernel/pid_max=10000