[arch-dev-public] Moving from procps to procps-ng?

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 15:03:34 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's a tentative sysctl.conf : https://dev.archlinux.org/~eric/sysctl.conf
>>> that I obtained with the help of Jan and Dave on IRC.  The unusefull
>>> stuff from the upstream config have been dropped and the rest has been
>>> commented out. I've also cleaned the syntax.
>>

>> I'd change this comment to at least drop the silly ascii smiley face:
>>    # makes you vulnerable or not :-)
>> and try to elaborate more, e.g.
>>    # if not functioning as a router, there is no need to accept
>> redirects or source routes
>>
>> And maybe add the corresponding ipv6 settings too, since this is 2012.
>
> Sure. I also got an email from a user who suggested to remove them
> (the  accept_redirects and source_route) as well as the forwarding as
> they are are turned off by default. What do you think about that? I
> think we can keep them. The old procps sysctl.conf has the forward
> option and the redirect is probably a common option too.

My kernel says otherwise about accept_redirects, at least:

dmcgee at galway ~
$ sudo sysctl -a | grep all.accept_redirects
net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_redirects = 1
net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_redirects = 1

dmcgee at galway ~
$ sudo sysctl -a | grep all.accept_source_route
net.ipv4.conf.all.accept_source_route = 0
net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_source_route = 0