[arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Aug 14 11:15:57 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Stéphane Gaudreault
<stephane at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Systemd has a overall better design than SysV, lots of useful administrative
> features and provide quicker boot up. Considering that it has been around in
> our repositories for some time and that it could be considered stable enough
> for production use, I would suggest to replace iniscript by systemd once the
> 'Missing systemd units' is over. Thus we will avoid duplicating our efforts
> on two init systems.
>
> Any objections to start the migration process ?

A big +1 from me.

As to the future of initscripts: I am (as I keep saying) committed to
maintaining it as long as it is part of our repos (at some point I
expect it will not be any more). We'll make sure that the transition
to systemd is such that initscripts can still be installed for the
time being if that is desired. However, I expect that third-party
packages (gnome, NetworkManager, polkit, etc.) at some point will stop
working well without systemd, so that is something to consider if you
stick with initscripts.

Cheers,

Tom