[arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd

Stéphane Gaudreault stephane at archlinux.org
Wed Aug 15 12:41:23 EDT 2012

Le 2012-08-15 12:11, Tom Gundersen a écrit :
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> My plan:
>>
>> 1) Tell people to migrate to systemd.
>> 2) Make new installations use systemd by default.
>> 3) Stop holding back packages because of systemd. For example: polkit
>> requires either consolekit or systemd. Drop ck support, use systemd.
>> This means that most desktop users will need to switch to systemd - but
>> a server that doesn't even have dbus will (for the time being) keep
>> working with initscripts.
>> 4) Drop initscripts as soon as udev starts breaking without systemd.
>>
>> I guess it will take lots of time before we do 4).
> I agree wholeheartedly (assuming all the needed things such as unit
> files are in place before we do (1), as discussed earlier in the
> thread). I suppose what will trigger initscripts being dropped is
> people getting sick of maintaining rc scripts for our packages, which
> will probably happen long before udev stops working (but even that
> should be a long time into the future).

I agree with the proposed plan. The schedule could looks like this

(1) and (2) could be done after the missing unit files rebuild is over.
They should probably be announced at the same time as I expect that some
users will prefer a fresh install instead of "upgrading".
(3) Maybe this could be done in preparation of the gnome 3.6.0 release
scheduled at the end of September.
(4) There is no rush to do that, but users need to know that it _will_
happen.