[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Adding serf to [extra] for subversion 1.7.8

Stéphane Gaudreault stephane at archlinux.org
Thu Dec 20 13:07:03 EST 2012

I am preparing theupdate of subversion to 1.7.8. I would like to add a
serf package [1] to [extra]  :

 From [2] :
"
          The Serf library allows the Subversion client to send HTTP
          requests.  This is necessary if you want your client to access
          a repository served by the Apache HTTP server.  There is an
          alternate 'svnserve' server as well, though, and clients
          automatically know how to speak the svnserve protocol.
          Thus it's not strictly necessary for your client to be able
          to speak HTTP... though we still recommend that your client
          be built to speak both HTTP and svnserve protocols.
"

Serf-based repository access library is going to become the default for
HTTP in Subversion 1.8 and user are encouraged to try it with 1.7.x [3].

Our package will still allow neon and svnserve.

Comments welcome

Stéphane

[1] http://code.google.com/p/serf/
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/INSTALL