[arch-dev-public] Keeping stuff in /bin, /lib, /sbin

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Feb 3 05:21:51 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Moving these out of /{s,}bin would make it a lot easier if _ONE DAY_ we
>> do decide to merge /bin to /usr/bin.  And I mean _A LOT_ easier...
>> Making changes like that is a real annoyance in a rolling release distro.
>
> Regardless of an eventual /bin -> /usr/bin symlink, I would be in
> favor of the following (purely in the interest of KISS):
>
> All new binaries/libraries go to /usr/{bin,lib} no matter what. That
> is no /lib, /bin, /sbin or /usr/sbin.
>
> All current libraries should be moved from /lib to /usr/lib (but not
> in a hurry, just when the relevant maintainers find the time).
>
> All binaries should be moved to /usr/bin unless that would cause
> inconveniences/problems (but not in a hurry, just when the relevant
> maintainers find the time).

I'll implement this in the packages I maintain (util-linux and udev)
at their next release, unless there are any objections.

All libraries will move to /usr/lib. For the binaries I'll  have a
closer look at what makes sense and post details when moving to
[testing] so people will get a chance to raise any concerns.

Cheers,

Tom