[arch-dev-public] [RFC] removing blacklisting of framebuffers from the udev package

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Feb 7 11:59:13 EST 2012

Hi guys,

Currently the udev package ships

/lib/modules.d/framebuffer_blacklist.conf

This file blacklists all the framebuffer modules present on the build
machine. This does not feel quite right to me, and it is not exactly
self-documenting what bug is being fixed.

If possible, I'd like to drop this file and add more specific
blacklisting where needed. If I understand correctly, the main issue
is in the case where proprietary drivers are used (nvidia / catalyst)
and the opensource drivers are loaded instead. If this is the only
problem, I'd like to propose we solve it as follows:

Add

/lib/modules.d/nvidia.conf:
blacklist nouveau
blacklist nvidiafb

to the nvidia package (and analogously to the catalyst package in aur).

This is exactly what /lib/modules.d is for, so it makes a lot of sense
to me. Are there any other use-cases I have missed?

I'll push an udev package with this change to staging shortly, so
people can try it out if they wish.

Cheers,

Tom