[arch-dev-public] Moving systemd v42 to [extra]

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Thu Feb 9 09:29:49 EST 2012

Hi all,

Since the v38 release of systemd, the infamous journal has been
implemented, but stability has been somewhat lacking. Between v38 and
v41, some of you might have noticed that I've been keeping systemd in
[testing].

As of v41, most of the concerns have been addressed, but there's still a
few minor annoyances that I expect to see fixed for v42. Assuming this
is true, I'll be moving systemd into [extra].

What does this mean for people who don't use systemd?

- Nothing. It means absolutely nothing at all. You can go about your
  daily lives and you will see zero impact from this change. Your
  significant other(s), children, and pets are all safe. Nothing will be
  kicked or set on fire.
- You don't need to read the rest of this email.

What does this mean for people who uses systemd?

- New toys! systemd-cat, systemd-cgtop, systemd-journalctl. If you want
  a full list of features and bugfixes, I suggest checking out the NEWS
  file [1] in the git repo.
- With the journal enabled (and it is enabled by default), you no longer
  need to run a syslog daemon (i.e. syslog-ng or rsyslog). The journal,
  by default, writes to /run/systemd/journal (meaning logs will poof on
  reboot). If you want to keep your logs, simply create
  /var/log/journal. If you really want to keep using a syslog daemon,
  you must tell it to read from /run/systemd/journal/socket, NOT
  /dev/log.
- systemadm has been split off to a separate repo (upstream). I've added
  systemd-ui-git to the AUR. If there's enough popularity, I'll add
  a systemd-ui package to community.
- Nothing is happening to systemd-arch-units and systemd-initscripts.
  These packages are staying in [community]. The über-idealist long term
  plan for both of these packages is (still) that they go away
  (functionality merged in respective upstreams).

In addition, I'll be introducing a package which conflicts with sysvinit
and depends on systemd which merely replaces the binaries that sysvinit
provides (init, telinit, reboot, shutdown, etc) with systemd equivalents
(symlinks to systemctl). This won't be a requirement of anyone, but
it'll make things a little cleaner for those of us who have already
ditched initscripts and sysvinit.

Regards,
Dave

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/NEWS