[arch-dev-public] Moving systemd v42 to [extra]

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Feb 9 10:20:15 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 09.02.2012 15:57, schrieb Stéphane Gaudreault:
>> Do we plan to eventually replace our init system by systemd ? Or we will
>> provide systemd in [extra] only as an alternative ?
>>
>> I am not a systemd user, but I have nothig against the move to [extra].
>> Just want to understand the long term plans.
>
> Long-term, I would say this is very likely to become the default. At
> some point in the next 5 or so years, systemd will probably become the
> only viable alternative.

I agree that this is probably what will eventually happen.

However, for the time being there are no such plans, and personally my
aim in working with initscripts and systemd is to make sure it is as
smooth as possible for Arch users to switch back and forth between the
two, and that they are mutually compatible to the extent that is
reasonable.

Should it turn out that systemd is a failure, nothing is lost and we
stay with initscripts; alternatively if we decide to switch to systemd
in some years time we will have a very well-tested and well-integrated
package ready to be used.

Cheers,

Tom