[arch-dev-public] Remove ftp mirrors from the default list

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Feb 13 21:22:49 EST 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Florian Pritz <bluewind at xinu.at> wrote:
> ftp connects way slower than http, especially for lots of small files,
> since it has to connect back to the client each time.
>
> Since I don't see any benefit over http and ftp is old, I propose to
> remove all the ftp mirrors from the default mirror list.

Maybe an exception could be made for those servers that are only
available as ftp? As pointed out by Abdul Halim Mat Ali on
arch-general, the only Singaporean mirror is ftp only.

In my experience I have a few times had use for ftp servers when the
http servers are not working. This is hardly a problem in Central
Europe, as we have so many mirrors here, but in other parts of the
world it is more relevant.

-t