[arch-dev-public] kmod-3 in [testing]

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Thu Jan 5 19:40:47 EST 2012

Hey all,

I've just dropped kmod-3 into testing as a replacement for
module-init-tools. This is still a young project, but it has a lot of
support from active people, and I (as well as Tom) have been working
closely with upstream to flesh out and fix bugs.

For the most part, you should not notice any difference. kmod was
designed as a drop-in replacement for m-i-t, and all the binaries should
exist with the (mostly) the same options. Whenever possible, options or
features marked deprecated in m-i-t were removed, such as:

- parsing of depmod/modprobe config for files not ending in .conf
- modprobe's -l, --list options

IMPORTANT: In line with the first change, it needs to be pointed out
that we will no longer package /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf. This means
that if you wrote to that file, it will be .pacsave'd on removal of
m-i-t and you must rename it. We will continue to ship what used to be
called /etc/depmod.d/depmod.conf, but rename it /lib/depmod.d/search.conf.
This will be a read only file -- users should put their own tweaks in
/etc/depmod.d.

One other thing you might notice is that kmod doesn't currently include
man pages. I don't consider this a loss -- the m-i-t manpages did not
provide full coverage, nor did the command line help. kmod's binaries
all currently have full coverage of options via -h, --help.

Lastly, there's an accompanying mkinitcpio update to account for some
extra verbosity of kmod's modprobe and depmod tools. You do *not* need
to regenerate your initramfs images unless you feel so inclined.

Have fun!

Regards,
Dave