[arch-dev-public] kmod-3 in [testing]

Andreas Radke andyrtr at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 6 05:29:23 EST 2012

Am Thu, 5 Jan 2012 19:40:47 -0500
schrieb Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com>:

> Hey all,
>
> I've just dropped kmod-3 into testing as a replacement for
> module-init-tools. This is still a young project, but it has a lot of
> support from active people, and I (as well as Tom) have been working
> closely with upstream to flesh out and fix bugs.
>
> For the most part, you should not notice any difference. kmod was
> designed as a drop-in replacement for m-i-t, and all the binaries
> should exist with the (mostly) the same options. Whenever possible,
> options or features marked deprecated in m-i-t were removed, such as:
>
> - parsing of depmod/modprobe config for files not ending in .conf
> - modprobe's -l, --list options
>
> IMPORTANT: In line with the first change, it needs to be pointed out
> that we will no longer package /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf. This
> means that if you wrote to that file, it will be .pacsave'd on
> removal of m-i-t and you must rename it. We will continue to ship
> what used to be called /etc/depmod.d/depmod.conf, but rename
> it /lib/depmod.d/search.conf. This will be a read only file -- users
> should put their own tweaks in /etc/depmod.d.

Such thing should be brought up to our lists before they hit the repo.

All files in /etc/depmod.d/ and /etc/modprobe.d/ are ignored
here. So module blacklisting doesn't work there for users/admins. We
need to fix https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/27846 to allow admins to
blacklist modules again.

The only place that works here is /lib/modprobe.d/foo.conf

Should we rebuild all packages that right now put files
into /etc/modprobe.d/ ? Can somebody with a full svn checkout do a grep
to get a list?

-Andy