[arch-dev-public] ChangeLog usage ..

Angel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 13 09:49:39 EST 2012

For some packages that i've been maintaining over months I have to
keep a ChangeLog .. since it's supported with pacman, and give us
(devs and tus) some resume, also this resume give to our users the
idea of what is being applied in this release/version of a package.

I usually do that on critical packages, and packages that have a
previous ChangeLog file.

So, a good practice is, if you're doing the favour to other dev to
maintain or rebuild his package, and this guy added a ChangeLog .. the
correct way to proceed is to write something in it, maybe this can
sound you like zomfg this is not kiss! .. but stuff like this bring us
quality IMHO. For example, I have been busy those months, and maybe i
will continue to be busy a few months more, but trust me, in my real
spare time, i dedicate sometime to the project, and when I saw that my
packages were updated I would like to know who and what change he did
instead to diff + look at the bugtracker + look at the rebuilds + look
at the mailing list .. as i've said, sometimes the free time is like 2
hours or less per day, so i loose some much time just seing commit
logs and checking the bug tracker, having the changelog that I've been
using will help me for sure.

Again, i'm not criticizing anybody, i'm just in favour of start doing
the things better and better, and i've had several packages that were
updated by someother devs/tus (and I am grateful with them) but, they
miss the part to fill the ChangeLog which makes me wonder what they
did on the packages (for sure, i've read a lot and now i'm confident
of what they did, but this makes me waste a whole morning reading
mails, bugtracker, and reading the logs of the svn).

That said, Have a nice weekend, i will try to smash bugs and update
some of my packages in order to be up to date the next week.

- --
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net
Arch Linux Developer / Trusted User