[arch-dev-public] final leg of /lib removal

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Tue Jul 3 12:05:05 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 05:48:43PM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 03.07.2012 17:41, schrieb Dave Reisner:
> > BIG SCARY NOTE: Due to the kmod changes, this will BREAK all module
> > tools for users with their own kernels. If you do not rebuild your
> > kernel after pulling in the new kmod, you're going to have a bad time.
> > See the paste link above for inspiration.
>
> This worries me, a lot. Can't we get a smoother upgrade path?

Not really.

We could patch all things using kmod (udev and kmod's tools) to look
in both /usr/lib as well as /lib, but that's ugly and doesn't really do
us any good.

We could make this rebuild coincide with the glibc rebuild to get rid of
/lib, but you can't install glibc with /lib as a symlink until
/lib/modules doesn't exist. The only way /lib/modules doesn't exist is
if people with custom kernels rebuild them into /usr/lib/modules.