[arch-dev-public] News item: /lib removal - Was: heads up: /lib removal

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 21:32:11 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> A patched version of pacman is now in [testing] that will detect all the
> issues reported so far that resulted in failed updates.   Users of the
> [testing] repo who last updated in the three days between the kmod
> update and the glibc update may still run into issues, but "pacman -Sy
> pacman && pacman -Su" will prevent that.
>
> Here is a (very draft) news item.  I think it provides complete update
> instructions for people using the "stable" repos.
>

> Removal of /lib directory
>
> All files in the /lib directory have been moved to /usr/lib and now /lib
> is a symlink to usr/lib.  During this update, pacman will identify a
> conflict in the /lib directory.  In the simplest case, this is worked
> around by doing
>
> pacman -Syu --ignore glibc
> pacman -Su
>
> When additional package depend on having a newer version of glibc than
> is currently on your system and these also have files in /lib (e.g.
> older versions of gcc), then and extra step will be necessary.  For example:
>
> pacman -Syu --ignore glibc gcc
> pacman -Sd gcc
> pacman -Su
>
> Only do the -Sd step if really necessary.  Pacman will warn you about a
> conflict in /lib on the -Su step if it is.
>
> If the "pacman -Su" step reports a conflict in /lib, you will need to
> look at all the files in /lib and determine which ones are not owned by
> glibc.  This is achieved by "pacman -Qo /lib/*".  You will need to move

    find /lib -print0 | xargs -o pacman -Qo
is much more effective at helping track down pesky files in
subdirectories (ala catalyst-hook).

> any files not belong to glibc to /usr/lib (either through fixing their
> package or manually moving unowned files).  There should be no
> subdirectories in /lib either.
>
> Finally, NEVER use pacman --force (-f) for the glibc update.  That will
> result in a broken system.

This package tripped me up for a while; what's the expected easy
update path for those of us with it installed? Adding another three
steps like `pacman -Rdd lib32-glibc`, then above commands, then
reinstall seems very crazy to me, but that was the only way I found.

lib32-glibc /lib/
lib32-glibc /lib/ld-linux.so.2