[arch-dev-public] News item: /lib removal - Was: heads up: /lib removal

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Jul 11 20:55:12 EDT 2012

On 11/07/12 12:25, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 11/07/12 11:32, Dan McGee wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>> A patched version of pacman is now in [testing] that will detect all the
>>> issues reported so far that resulted in failed updates.   Users of the
>>> [testing] repo who last updated in the three days between the kmod
>>> update and the glibc update may still run into issues, but "pacman -Sy
>>> pacman && pacman -Su" will prevent that.
>>>
>>> Here is a (very draft) news item.  I think it provides complete update
>>> instructions for people using the "stable" repos.
>>>

>>> Removal of /lib directory
>>>
>>> All files in the /lib directory have been moved to /usr/lib and now /lib
>>> is a symlink to usr/lib.  During this update, pacman will identify a
>>> conflict in the /lib directory.  In the simplest case, this is worked
>>> around by doing
>>>
>>> pacman -Syu --ignore glibc
>>> pacman -Su
>>>
>>> When additional package depend on having a newer version of glibc than
>>> is currently on your system and these also have files in /lib (e.g.
>>> older versions of gcc), then and extra step will be necessary.  For example:
>>>
>>> pacman -Syu --ignore glibc gcc
>>> pacman -Sd gcc
>>> pacman -Su
>>>
>>> Only do the -Sd step if really necessary.  Pacman will warn you about a
>>> conflict in /lib on the -Su step if it is.
>>>
>>> If the "pacman -Su" step reports a conflict in /lib, you will need to
>>> look at all the files in /lib and determine which ones are not owned by
>>> glibc.  This is achieved by "pacman -Qo /lib/*".  You will need to move
>>
>>     find /lib -print0 | xargs -o pacman -Qo
>> is much more effective at helping track down pesky files in
>> subdirectories (ala catalyst-hook).
>
> I figure that:
> error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/foo' is a good
> hint, because these directories need removed too.

We probably need to add a note about looking for packages that own /lib
but seem to have no actual files in there (probably because the files
were manually moved to /usr/lib...).  This will give a conflict on /lib.

So some sort of:
grep -R --include files "^lib" /var/lib/pacman/local/

I think the news announcement is probably getting a bit long given all
the esge cases that should be covered.  I will just include instructions
for the ideal (usual?) case of "pacman -Syu --ignore glibc && pacman
-Su" and provide a link to a (as yet uncreated...) wiki page with
instructions on how to deal with conflicts.

Allan