[arch-dev-public] resignation

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sat Jul 14 12:03:36 EDT 2012

Hi,
I'm stepping down as last remaining releng member.
It's not so much lack of time, it's more about lack of mental energy/interest.
Some other devs (and Gerardo) are already taking good care of archiso, Thomas manages to patch up the releng scripts every time they break, and now there's some interest in installer scripts again,
so I guess now is a good time for me to throw the towel.
I've been pondering doing this for already a long time, I even wrote a few resignation mails at some points, but always discarded them before sending.

AIF is arguably an over-engineered piece of software, but only because it aimed to make it "dead-easy" for users to do installations - even complicated ones - (and not just interactive, but also automated ones) which I still think is a noble goal worth pursuing, but we're too small of a team to maintain it, and me being the only one who understands it doesn't help either.  If it would have been written in python it could have been more elegant and simple and might have had a very different life (with more interest from the community/other devs).
I've definitely learned a lot from it, and have a bunch of ideas on how things can be done better if one would like to pursue the goals that aif pursues, but lack the interest in devoting more energy.  Although I might be interested to help out if others take the lead.

I would like to thank everyone who's ever contributed to Arch Linux in one way or another (some of you guys are very dedicated),
There's also the guys at (open)suse who are doing lovely projects (mirrorbrain, autoinst, openQA, ...) and who have tried to work with us,
I regret not being able to giving them the attention they deserve.  (there's the autobuilds, the openQA automatic tests, the iso feedback webapp, which are by themselves useful but we haven't been able so far to tie them together.  I still think we can achieve the autobuild+autotest+autorelease system I know some of us are dreaming of)

I also look back happily on speaking with everyone in the
AL community I've ever met, I never met somebody I didn't like.
My personal hilights being
Froscon 2009 (http://dieter.plaetinck.be/froscon_2009_afterthoughts -- check
the picture of Gerhard and I!) and Archcon 2010
(http://dieter.plaetinck.be/back_from_canada_archcon.html) which was not only great for the Arch love, my trip to Canada was one of the best trips of my life, and I got to meet Dusty, who I now consider a close personal friend.

good luck with AL and with your personal lives.

Dieter