[arch-dev-public] [ANNOUNCE] initscripts-2012.07.3

Tobias Powalowski tobias.powalowski at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 21 03:46:42 EDT 2012

Am 21.07.2012 08:48, schrieb Evangelos Foutras:
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 2:52 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>> [..]
>> * All variables in rc.conf can now be left unset and will default to
>> something sensible
> I find removing most of the variables to be confusing and would
> suggest that [1] and [2] get reverted.
>
> The commit log for [1] lists the following as the main reasoning
> behind this change:
>
> "Keeping everything in the manpage means we don't have to deal with
> .pacnew files when updating minor detals (such as default options)."
>
> My counterargument is the nonexistence, in the previous rc.conf, of
> default options that would need to be changed in a way that is
> transparent to the user.
>
> Moreover, stuff like TIMEZONE, LOCALE and MODULES should be included
> in rc.conf; nobody really wants to run their system with the default
> LOCALE=C, and quite a few people will want to load extra modules (in
> my case vboxnetflt), without messing around with other files
> (/etc/locale.conf) or adding variables back into rc.conf,
> respectively.
>
> In conclusion, a) the existing rc.conf is already stripped down to the
> essential system configuration options, b) I like having a default
> structure of these options in rc.conf instead of adding them back in
> at random places (in rc.conf), c) if we want to shift the task of
> configuring the hostname/locale/keymap/etc to external files, it might
> be preferable to remove them completely from rc.conf instead of having
> multiple points of truth.
>
> (The above is my view on this change after spending 10 minutes trying
> to figure out how I can load modules through /etc/modprobe.d, after I
> noticed that MODULES was removed from rc.conf. In my defense, I
> thought it could be similar to the time MOD_BLACKLIST was dropped. :p)
>
> [1] https://projects.archlinux.org/initscripts.git/commit/?id=5b0626
> [2] https://projects.archlinux.org/initscripts.git/commit/?id=70810a
I already raised this 2 days ago, seems no other devs have opinions on this.
If someone uses systemd you have to deal with systemd's config files,
but if you deal with rc.conf I would like to keep rc.conf as it is for
years
or make a reference where to set the new options.

greetings
tpowa

--
Tobias Powalowski