[arch-dev-public] [mkinitcpio][RFC] a better fallback image?

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Thu Jul 26 08:49:41 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:45:39AM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:17 AM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> > Well that answers the why, but that was the easy question =P.
>
> Ah, my brain skipped over the hard part of the question ;-)
>
> > I suppose
> > I could re-add a flag that would point mkinitcpio at a different module
> > root (making no attempt to fully reimplement --basedir), which could be
> > simply passed onto modinfo/modprobe ...but that would require patching
> > modinfo first.
>
> Hm, I didn't realise that this was not currently possible. Good point.
> If worst comes to worse, I guess we could try using some chroot magic?
>
> -t

Just to complete the illusion, there _is_ a --basedir flag for modinfo
(hell, it used to be part of mkinitcpio), but much like
module-init-tools, it isn't documented in the manpage. That's fixed
upstream, and I'll add a --moduleroot flag to mkinitcpio for next
release. That _should_ make image creation possible from makepkg. The
only caveat is that we'll need to ship our own one line mkinitcpio.conf
to specify HOOKS="", or hack it into the PKGBUILD and source that (would
be effectively benign as far as mkinitcpio is concerned).