[arch-dev-public] [RFC] filesystem-2012.3-1

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat Jun 2 18:45:58 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 11:45:26PM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>> The upgrade requires user intervention:
>>
>> # rm /var/{lock,run} ; pacman -Syu
>
> As you pointed out, this assumes that the machine was booted at least
> once on "recent" initscripts. If they're still directories, I suppose
> this gets a bit more fun -- subdirs, files, sockets, whatever will need
> to be moved into /run first.

I just did "rm -rf /var/{lock,run}" on my systemd machine (where these
were proper folders with lots of stuff in them). This should be safe
as long as you shutdown as much as you can beforehand and reboot
afterwards.

>> A request: it would be really ideal if we could roll a new installer
>> release as soon as this is out, so people don't have to deal with
>> these sorts of things on their first upgrade after install. Would that
>> be possible?
>
> There's a lot of reasons we need a new core installer. Note that the
> netinstall isn't affected by this.

In that case, it might be worthwhile to remove the core installer from
our webpage (at least for the time being), and write in big bold
letters that everyone should use the netinstall.

-t