[arch-dev-public] [RFC] another base cleanup

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Jun 7 07:54:48 EDT 2012

On Jun 6, 2012 2:07 PM, "Allan McRae" <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 06/06/12 21:55, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> > gcc-libs (pulled in by whatever needs it, no good on its own)
>
> That will be a disaster...  almost nothing has this specified as a
> dependency.

My bad, someone already told me this. Moved to 'base'.

> Other than that, my main comment is that seems far to many groups.

Yeah, my intention was only to have these groups for the purpose of the
discussion (so we know what we are talking about), not necessarily
introduce new groups in our repos.

I really wanted to avoid having the kernel in our build roots, but we might
as well keep it in base and manually --ignore it in our scripts.

How about this: we only keep one base group. It if the union of the
categories in my first email (with the changes we agree on). We drop the
packages that don't fit in any category, as already suggested.

We could further drop all the packages from base-storage, and possibly
base-network (maybe at the expense of adding netcfg to core?).

Unless I'm missing something, that should not cause any dependency problems.

For what it is worth, I'm not too concerned about saving space, but more
about our base group making sense, and being simple to customize for those
who want that (at the moment there are simply too many packages that one
has to go through when picking what one wants).